Do I Need a Construction Permit?

Construction Administration
April 19, 2018
Planning Your Project: First Steps Toward Creating a Successful Home Remodeling Project
October 23, 2019

Do I Need a Construction Permit?

Generally, any time you construct, enlarge, repair, renovate, alter, reconstruct or demolish the structure, or change the use of the building or structure, or portion thereof, or install or alter any equipment in the building, you must file for an application for permit with the construction official, or the appropriate subcode official in the construction involves only one trade.

Exceptions to this requirement include:

  • “ordinary maintenance” does not require a permit or even notice to the enforcing agency;
  • “minor work” which requires a permit, however work may proceed upon notice to the enforcing agency before the permit is actually issue;
  • “emergency work” not involving lead abatement may begin as long as notice is made as soon thereafter as is practicable in a permit is apply for in no later than 72 hours;
  • temporary structures and tents

The application for a permit must be accompanied by no fewer than two copies of the plans and specifications drawn to scale and with sufficient clarity to show the nature and character the work to be performed. The required joint should include building plans, electrical plans, plumbing plans, mechanical plans, energy calculations, engineering details and specifications, a delineated work area, and the seal of the New Jersey registered design professional. Specifically, most building types must be designed by an architect.

Exception: The construction official shall waive the requirement for sealed plans in the case of
a single family home owner who had prepared his or her own plans for the construction,
addition, reconstruction, alteration, renovation, or repair of a detached structure used or
intended to be used exclusively as his or her private residence providing that the owner shall
submit an affidavit attesting to the fact that he or she has personally prepared the plans and
provided further that said plans are in the opinion of the construction official, and appropriate
subcode official, legible and complete for purposes of ensuring compliance with the
regulations. This exception shall not apply to the structural design, specifications, and plans for
new construction or substantial improvement of a home in a V zone in a flood hazard area,
which must be developed or reviewed by a registered architect or licensed engineer pursuant
to the National Flood Insurance Program rules, 44 CFR 60.3.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.